- Conference 2022
- Subject Champions
- News & Blog
5th Water Efficiency Conference (#WATEFConf2018)
5th to 7th September 2018, University of Aveiro, Portugal
Aveiro - Ria (reproduced under Creative Commons licence)
** Abstract Deadline Extended to 4 December 2017**
Please come and join us at our first international conference to be held in the beautiful city of Aveiro - the "Venice of Portugal". There will be plenty of opportunities for delegates to network during the conference itself and during the programme of social events which traditionally form a key part of any WATEF Conference. The delegate fees will include a drinks reception, a gala dinner and a special "mystery" excursion. Don't miss out on this unique opportunity - to find out more send us your abstract now.
Confirmed keynote speakersinclude:
The City of Aveiro offers many attractions for the discerning visitor :
- Antonio Ricardo Oliveira (Director of OLI - Sistemas Sanitarios SA)
- Orestes Goncalves (Professor University Sao Paolo Brazil)
- Carlos Borrego (Professor University of Aveiro and former Minister of the Environment)
- Francisco Arregui (Professor of Polytechnic University of Valencia)
It's unique pastel coloured Art Nouveau buildings which line the network of picturesque canals A sunset trip in a colourful Moliciero under the many hump backed bridges which form the canal network.
The city boasts many good hotels and restaurants and a bustling nightlife.
The candy striped houses of the Costa Nova area easily accessible via the hourly bus service from Aveiro
- A wooded nature reserve with trails and birdwatching hides - the name Aveiro may come from the Latin word Aviarium (place of birds)
The candy-striped houses of the Costa Nova (reproduced under Creative Commons license)
WATEF news and events
WATEF 2017 Events: In conjunction with our Technical Committees we have arranged the following event:
- "Creating the Digital Story of Water Sector Wholesale/Retail Separation" master class/ workshop to be held at Arup, London on 23rd November 2017. The event will begin at 10.00 am - keynote speakers details will be available shortly.
PLEASE HOLD THE DATE - SPACES LIMITED. This is a FREE event
External news and events
- Photos and reports on events which have taken place in July and September are available as follows:
- Water Recycling and Reuse event - 27 July 2017
- National Lift Tower site visit - 6 July 2017
- BRE Flood Resilience Repair Home and presentations - 12 September 2017
- Job Opportunity: WATEF network project coordinator advert
- 2017 Dwr Uisce Conference hosted by Bangor University in Wales takes place on Friday 27th October 2017. The theme of the conference is "Sustainability in Energy and Water Resources: Research & Practice." There is a fantastic line-up of speakers representing: water supply (The Water Retail Company); water regulation (Ofwat & Commission for Energy Regulation); water communities (National Federation of Group Water Schemes); working water groups (Consumer Council for Water and the Watef Network); and leading water research (Waternomics, ESIPPand a dedicated session on our Dŵr Uisce work). The dedicated Dwr Uisce session will present the latest energy recovery research of micro-hydropower and drain water heat recovery, along with updates on their benchmarking work and the growth of their smart specialisation cluster.
- This conference welcomes participants from across the UK, Ireland and indeed from across Europe, and you are welcome to represent your organisation at the conference.
- Registration is SIMPLE and participation is FREE. Details regarding the conference Schedule, Venue, Travel & Accommodation are also available on the website pages for the conference. Please note that there are limited opportunities for two-minute participant pitches at the conference to allow you to present your role in the field; please contact (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you wish to contribute to this part of the conference. Other details are available here.
Blog and Social Media
- Safe & SuRe an EPSRC fellowship project led by Professor David Butler, which aims to develop a new paradigm for urban water management in the UK in response to emerging challenges and global uncertainties, will be hosting an event in London on the evening of 22 November 2017.
- The event will be held at the Anomalous Space, Islington, N1 from 18.15 to 20.15 and is free to enter. Please e-mail Kate Baker should you wish to attend. In order to assist their research Safe & SuRe would be very grateful if our members could complete this questionnaire.
- Water Demand Management Bulletin - the very last issue can be seen here
- ech20 Newsletter - read the latest news from Cath and her team here